And I'm happy to share some simple tips on how to go about seeking a sponsor for your own blog.
1. Be Available: Make sure you have a contact page or email address easily available on your blog. (Mine's in the "Who Is She?" button to the left and I have been meaning to make it more obvious actually.)
2. Be Prepared: Have a break down of just what you will need. For example- $250 conference fee, $300 airfare, $600 hotel, etc.
3.It Never Hurts To Ask: Your inbox might be holding the key. If you do reviews or contests or are emailed press releases to blog about, turn that into a request for sponsorship. Even if you can't do or don't want to do what has initially been requested, the company might be interested in sponsoring you for an event or even advertising in your side bar.
4. Don't Wait: Don't wait to be approached- you might have to do the reaching out. Often companies wouldn't even know where to begin if wanting to sponsor a blogger, so they might be waiting for you to come to them!
5. Who? Consider anyone and everyone you've enjoyed working with in the past. If you haven't established a relationship with other companies and contacts yet, then start reaching out. Start with the products and services you love and would want to work with! Even better if you have a personal story behind their product. Most websites have a contact page. That's a great place to start.
4. Don't Hesitate: Even though BlogHer 09 isn't until July, it's good to start asking now. (Or whatever event you're wanting to attend.)
5. Give & Take: Think about what you are willing to do in return for sponsorship. It could be links in your BlogHer posts, a button in your sidebar, passing out business cards at the conference, wearing a t-shirt... get creative! The possibilities are endless!
6. Be Yourself: Partner up with someone that makes sense for you and your blog. It should be someone you like and/or a product you are proud to have sponsor you. Sure, I could take $1000 to represent baby formula, but that's not me. And your readers know when you're not being you.
Be original. If you see that another blogger has partnered up with a company, I think it's respectful to seek out some place different to work with.
Share the love. At the same time, if you are sponsored and know that there are more sponsorship opportunities available for other bloggers, put in a good word for your friends!
Twitter. Be in the know and follow the movers and shakers on Twitter! (I'm babysteph by the way).
Win. Keep an eye out for contests offering sponsorships to BlogHer. Last year HP gave away several $250 scholarships and even this year some bloggers have been in the giving mood.
Volunteer. BlogHer offers BlogHerships and other opportunities in exchange for your time and talent. See if there is something available for you!
Subscribe to my blog here
Twitter me- I'm babysteph