It seems with Gray turning two this weekend I'd be wearing him less and less, which is partly true. He wants to run around and have his freedom, but he also still benefits from being worn close to Mama. This past week he has been overcoming croup and an ear infection, and at one point last night just about had a melt down. I needed to finish making dinner, so I put him in the mei tai on my back and he calmed quickly, resting his head on my back as I finished what I had to tend to. This is the type of magical moment many babywearing Moms have testified about. When you just can't put something off, but must also tend to baby at the same time.
Of course there are still plenty of times I try the sling and that's not what he wants, but I'd say more often than not, the sling does the trick.
Here's my top 5 places and times I wear Gray as a toddler:
1. Going to the park- I'll always bring the mei tai for our park playdates in case he needs to nurse (usually much more convenient and discreet for us this way), needs to nap, or in case he needs to be confined (this happens often at the park with other little ones he has to share with!)
2. Church- I always have the sling handy in case he's asleep in the car when we get to church. This way I can keep him with me and hopefully he can continue his nap while worn in the sling or mei tai. Lately, if he's awake, he's enjoyed the church nursery and last time didn't want to leave when church was over! (What a blessing!)
3. Shopping- whether it be grocery shopping or at the mall, I always am sure to bring along the sling. Gray starts out riding in the cart (unless he's asleep then we do like #2 above) and then if he tries to climb out or needs to nurse, I can just put him in the sling and then finish my shopping with no further inconveniences.
4. Home- As described above- the meltdown times, sick times, or just times baby wants to be held close. The sling can save your sanity!
5. "No-No" times & places- for those quick visits to stores or someone's home that you just don't want your little one breaking something or harming himself. For example- Barnes & Noble is ok to roam, however the salon while big brother gets a hair cut is more of a sling time & place. Dropping off something at your Aunt Mabel's with her Hummel collection on full display- also a "No-No."
Also, for any quick trip that you think you could just leave your little one in the car while you run in to pay for gas or pick up the pizza, it takes just a few seconds to get them in and out of the sling. NEVER leave your child in the car unattended. EVER.
So, what is your number one time & place to wear your baby or toddler?